Jennifer Claymon offers 20 years of legal experience representing health care entities in Texas.
Board Certified in Health Law, Jennifer focuses on administrative and health law related to hospitals, physicians and other health care providers, and she advises health care clients on a wide range of organizational and regulatory issues. Jennifer has worked extensively with health care facilities in drafting and revising governing body bylaws and medical staff bylaws, compliance plans, employee handbooks and policies and procedures.
She also advises businesses on compliance with state and federal employment laws, and has represented the interests of employers disputing claims of civil rights violations, age and gender discrimination, unfair compensation, and related matters.
Jennifer received her J.D. (cum laude) from the University of Texas Law School in 1998, and B.A. (summa cum laude) from Texas A&M University in 1994. She’s been honored as a “Rising Star” in the Health Law field by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters service, as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines (2005-2009, 2011-2013), is listed as a Leader in Health Law by Chambers USA, and was named among “Best Lawyers in America” by Woodward White, Inc. for three straight years (2014-2016).
Jennifer gives back to the legal community. She is a past president of the Health Law Section of the Austin Bar Association and previously served on the Texas Board of Legal Specialization Health Law Advisory Commission. She is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and Austin Bar Association.
- Drafted Medical Staff and Governing Body Bylaws for multiple hospitals
- Represented and advised hospitals in Medical Staff peer review and credentialing matters
- Prepared self-insurance plan and trust agreements for professional and general liability for hospitals
- Drafted asset purchase agreement for acquisition of durable medical equipment business
- Prepared application for 501(c) (3) exemption from federal income tax for hospital foundation
- Assisted large multi-hospital system with preparation and adoption of system-wide Medical Staff Bylaws
- Provided advice and counsel on state and federal employment statutes and regulations, including: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII of the Civil Rights Act (discrimination), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Pregnancy Discrimination Act, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), COBRA, Texas Commission on Human Rights Act, Texas Unemployment Compensation Act, Texas Payday Act, Texas Workers Compensation Act
- Represented employers in investigations by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) regarding discrimination claims (age, sex, race, national origin)
- Represented employers in investigations by the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) regarding unemployment compensation claims and pay claims
- Represented employers in investigations by the Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division regarding overtime and minimum wage claims
- Prepared and reviewed personnel policies and employee handbooks
- Prepared and reviewed employment contracts and severance agreements
- “Rising Stars” in the Health Law field by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters service, as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines (2005-2009, 2011-2013)
- Chambers USA, listed as Leader in Health Law (2015‐2019)
- “The Best Lawyers in America” in the specialty of Health Care Law, Best Lawyers by Woodward White, Inc. (2014‐2019)